Here is what the chord chart looks like:
So, what does this mean?
If we take a key like C Major and think about the chords we get this pattern...
C Dm Em F G7 Am Bo
I ii iii IV V7 vi viio
The chart tells us (starting with the I chord on the far right side) that
- The I chord can go anywhere.
- The iii chord tends to go the the vi chord
- The vi chord tends to go to the ii or IV chord
- The ii or IV tends to go to the V or viio
- The V or viio tends to go to the I
- The I chord can go anywhere...
So how might this look in the key of C Major?
C could go to Dm which might go to G7 which could go to C
I ii V7 I
What kind of patterns can you come up with?